Old February 6th 05, 02:13 AM
John E. Carty

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
Thomas Borchert wrote

I contacted one of their reps about spin recoveries and was
told that they were never tested but could 'possibly' recover
normally from a spin

Well, then either you were told wrong or misunderstood. The accepted
and certificated method of spin recovery is pulling the chute.

Does having an accepted and certificated method prevent it from POSSIBLY
recovering using a normal spin recovery method? The rep simply stated
that they didn't know since it had never been tested using the normal
spin recovery technique.

Bob Moore

I have a hard time believing that they didn't do spin testing. Perhaps
they just don't want to talk about it. On the other hand, maybe they
didn't spin test, but it seems like one of those things that every
manufacturer would do on each of its models. The result might be "Spins
and recovers nicely" or "Don't spin it.", but if I was laying out a few
hundred thousand dollars, I'd like to have a better answer than "If it
happens, you can pull the red handle, or you can be a test pilot."

They (Cirrus) really don't like to talk about the subject. They'll tell you
that the altitude in which most spins occur prevents most if not all
aircraft from recovering, and instead of asking why they have to have a CAPS
system to be certified (due to lack of spin recovery) that you should be
asking why more aircraft manufactures aren't incorporating the system to
save lives :-)