Old October 22nd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default For MXSMANIC: Flight Simulator Gear?

Jay Honeck writes:

I tested this unique rig at Oshkosh this year, and found it to be
PERFECT for the task, and I'm thinking about either purchasing one or
having my A&P weld up something similar. Before I go to this extreme,
however, (well, what *I* think is extreme) how do YOU "fly" your sim
set up? What, in your opinion, is the best cockpit set up for
"piloting" a sim?

Well, I have to use the same computer for a lot of other things,
including work and school, so I'm limited in how much I can customize
the environment for flight. I just have a big LCD monitor and a
Saitek X52 joystick and throttle. After flying the keyboard alone for
years, this seems like a vast improvement to me, but it's nothing
compared to the kinds of kustom kockpits that people can set up if
they want to dedicate a machine to simulation. I might do that
someday, but not any time soon because I don't have the space (or
money or time).

My own attraction to simming is more intellectual than visceral, so I
do okay even if I don't have three monitors and a fancy yoke and so
on. I also believe that if the cockpit gets more elaborate, it has to
get more specific to a given aircraft, too. An elaborate, generic
cockpit effectively corresponds to nothing in real life, although it
might have a nice feel to it.

It sounds like your movie nights are fun, especially the sim sessions.
Who chooses to fly the sim?