Old December 17th 07, 08:00 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
a425couple

Default OT old tidbit - valid +

"Jack Linthicum" wrote
"a425couple" wrote:
"Jack Linthicum" wrote
"a425couple" wrote:
"a425couple" wrote
While looking for something else, reading site:
http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html
I found this bummer:
25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy --
"15 July 1964 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger crashed in the Sea of Japan near
the USS Bennington, USS Cunningham and USS Eversole."

Got a cite for that second one? I was in the Sea of Japan on that
date. Do not remember any activity like that.

Well, a second source :

http://www.aiipowmia.com/koreacw/cwwg96d.html says in part:
In April 1995, during working group sessions, the U.S. side passed over

the
deck logs of the U.S.S. Bennington from 1 July 64 to 31 July 1964, the

deck
log of the U.S.S. Cunningham from 14 July 1964 to 16 July 1964 and the

deck
log of the U.S.S. Eversole from 14 July 1964 to 16 July 1964. These deck
logs all pertain to the crash of a Soviet Tu-16r "Badger" on 15 July

1964 in
the Sea of Japan."

and a third

source:http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/sovietunion...jc_apr_rpt.htm
that states in part:
"The U.S. side has provided videotape, artifacts, and a formal report by

the
U.S. Co-Chairman of the Commission in plenary session on the loss ---
deck logs of U.S. naval units in the
vicinity of a 15 July 1964 Soviet Tu-16 Badger crash in the Sea of

Japan;
So, cynical as I may be of misinformation on the internet
getting dispersed wildly, these seem at current glance
to be widely separated from seemingly valid enough sources.

This is a little bit like hearing that there was a major car crash on
your street 43 years later. If you read the oral history the ship I
was on did a "stealth" run up to the Vladivostok area. We were copying
the fleet covered broadcast, it is very unlikely--like impossible--
that something like a Tu-16 crash in plain sight of three U.S.
warships, also operating in the Sea of Japan, would have failed to be
sent on that. We were getting drunken sailor arrests in the Philipines
and Vietnam events as well as the classified stuff. Makes you wonder.

Dear Jack,
(who I always want to consider a friend - even when we respectfully
disagree on things)
You say, "very unlikely - like impossible -"

You wanted a cite, I've given you 3 pretty solid ones.
Without searching further (seems pointless),
It seems quite solid that it happened.
Your only reason to disagree seems to be that you didn't know.

Offhand, I'd suggest what I regularly give myself, dose of humbleness
and awareness that:
1. My memory may not be as good as I wish (or as it once was?)
and/or
2. although we have both held pretty 'informed' positions, that
does not mean we knew everything.

Lightly trying to move on:
Yeah, I remember those "drunken sailor arrests in the Philipines"
reports from that time I spent filling a fairly high Major's billet
staff position in a overseas MarDiv.
There are a lot of full bird Col. in the USMC. But there are only 9
infantry Regiments, so command of one is VERY sought after and coveted.
Well, we had recently had Cmd. Gen., change of command.
Then this new Col. arrives and has change of command ceremony
taking command of a Regt. Very soon after (that night? within a week!),
he gets caught by MPs driving drunk (too good a wetting down party!).
I do not remember if it was later that morning, or if it next day after
he'd had time to sober up/understand. But he was brought to
Div. HQ to meet with CG. He left in hurry, to catch plane to his
next duty station - Adack, Alaska (to contemplate when to turn in
his request for retirement papers -- flush).
Pretty clear message was sent from CG to Div.
I do not believe that report was ever listed along with those
"drunken sailor arrests in the Philipines".