Old December 19th 07, 08:35 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Yeff

Default OT old tidbit - valid +

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:15:04 -0800 (PST), Jack Linthicum wrote:

Captain at Cubi came home to find two guys carrying his TV out the
back door. No TV then at Subic. Captain hired "night gardeners".
Igoritos with blow guns for security duty.

"Negritos", not "Igoritos". They were the indigenous people of the
Philippines, not the ones who'd co mingled with the Spanish, the
Chinese, the Malayan's, and a host of others.At one time they were
guards on Clark AB. They cut off the heads of a couple of intruders
(posted them on the perimeter of the base to discourage others) and
ended up getting fired.

Getting fired? That was just overkill...

Marcos ****ed them over royally. He told them the base need to expand
and moved their village. Then he rented the vacated land to the Air
Force.

They were given free access to the base once the Air Force found out
what happened and would go through the dumpsters to find food. One
night we were leaving work and discovered one of them had somehow got
locked in one and was banging it to get attention. Once he was freed it
was discovered he was collecting the containers ("barf boxes") that had
uneaten food. Those were sent over by the chow-hall.

After that incident we made it a point to collect all of the uneaten
food into as few of the Styrofoam containers as possible. These we
stacked on top of the dumpster for easy access.

The gate that exited into the Negrito village was about 3/4ths of a mile
from our ops building. Being a SIGINT collection unit we were put
almost in the middle of nowhere, far from any base activities. A lot of
our guys liked to go out to visit the village and give them as much help
as they could. Here's a picture of a onetime king of that village:
http://members.tripod.com/~samsonr/peopleplaces/negrito.jpg

My unit from 1987 to 1991: http://members.tripod.com/~samsonr/

Best. Assignment. Ever.

--