Old December 12th 11, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

Default Best Club class glider

On Dec 12, 11:40*am, Paul T wrote:
Thinking about purchasing a club class glider for next year (can't afford a
JS1 or ASG29). I know Std Cirri seem to be popular,

I was in the same place about a year ago, and considered, in addition
to some of the gliders you mention, a Mini Nimbus and a Mosquito.
They'll give you both fantastic value if you can find one that is in
shape, in your price range. (I also considered the ASW20, but you're
likely to spend a little more on.)

I second what was said about trailers; I may add that your choices may
be limited by what will be available within your driving range.

Be aware of the lifetime limits on the Pegase. You don't list it, but
if you're considering an Astir, there's an expensive AD out on it.

As for Std Cirrus - the newer ones (75) have a slightly different
washout, improving its stall characteristics. The original one has an
all-moving tailplane. CG hook only - issue on aerotows - turned out
OK for me, but less than ideal for some. I would be more concerned
with its finish, the panel that comes with it (new instruments are
valuable, but some may be expensive and of little use to you). I
ended up buying a Std Cirrus locally, and fixing up the trailer, panel
and the cockpit during the spring.