Old May 13th 04, 07:51 PM
Bill Daniels

"Mot" wrote in message
m...
With the increase of glider accidents these days, just how safe is
this sport? There is always a element of risk associated with flying
but how does soaring compare with other forms of aviation or
motorsports?

I've been in this sport over four decades and every spring there is a rash
of accidents as rusty pilots come out of hibernation. Comparing soaring to
motorsports has much less to do with the equipment or procedures than with
the safety culture of the group. Safety boils down to the loose nut at the
controls.

Soaring is neither more dangerous nor safer than the pilot makes it. I know
a half dozen or so who, sooner or later, will certainly kill themselves. I
know a lot more that will never so much as put a scratch on their gliders no
matter how much they fly. I just wish the former would pay a lot more
attention to the latter.

Bill Daniels