Old August 6th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Finney

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

wrote in message
In rec.aviation.piloting Gig 601XL Builder wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 05:39:01 -0700, wrote in
. com:

When they start selling cars only powered by batteries I'm going to
invest in a tow truck business.

The time has arrived:
http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php

And a good place to base the new tow truck business is about half way
between SF and LA, because that's about how far this $100,000 car will
take
you.

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.teslamotors.com/performan..._batteries.php

Or half way between LA and Vegas.

The page leads to some "interesting" information.

If you cruise around you find claims that the energy usage is 110 Wh/km,
and recharge time of about 3.5 hours.

110 Wh/km is about 11.7 kWh for a 100 mile trip.

If the charging process is 100% efficient (not in this universe), to
recharge in 3.5 hours requires 11.7/3.5, or about 3.3 kW.

At 120 V, that's 27.5 A, which is a bit beyond the standard 15 A outlet.

At 220 V, that's about 15 A, so you better have a 220 outlet nearby.

Elsewhere they talk about recharging in 2 hours with some 70 A system.

Anyone out there got a 70 A plus safety factor outlet in their house?

Well, I just put in a dedicated 50 A receptable for charging electric cars.
Now, I just need the electric car.