Old November 11th 18, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

I measured and modeled all the instruments in 2D - including the holes and the case cross-sections. I managed to arrange them such that they form a near-solid block (many of them touch cases to add stability). I also measured the backside of the panel because there is some curvature and wall thickness to account for, so I created a standoff buffer/border around the edge.

I taught myself to use AutoCAD as part of this exercise, so I did some simple checks to ensure that there was clearance along the length of each instrument. With some additional effort you can create a 3D model of the instrument panel and cavity as well as each instrument. I didn't find this necessary for the -27. A friend who did a panel for his Ventus used SolidWorks to make a full 3D model (Fusion 360 will allow you to do this without spending $4000 on software). It may help for specific situations though generally there isn't a significant constraint unless your instruments are super-deep.

Solidworks is not that expensive for home use.

Join the EAA for $26-40/yr. depending on if you get it on sale. It is the student edition, but a great way to learn, stay current or do personal projects Exactly like this (the student edition is fine for this).

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membe...esource-center

Chris