Old November 6th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Gordon[_1_]

Default Where are the (retired) carriers?

Andrew Venor wrote:
USS Lexington is a museum in Corpus Christi, Texas,

I did a Boy Scouts camp onboard the Lexington a couple of years ago and
I was astonished at the poor material condition of that ship - it was
falling to pieces, passageways were filled with stagnant water, ****TY
food served by what appeared to be work-release convicts. In short, it
was extremely disappointing to see how poorly the CV was "preserved",
and I would suggest its not worth a trip to visit it in its current
condition. When we were aboard, the docent staff was almost entirely
former military, but only a couple were former Navy. This showed up
during tours, where I and other tourists kept catching the docents
giving out inaccurate information - another reason I was disappointed
in our visit.

The USS Midway is kept in fantastic condition by comparison. The
aircraft and ship are kept up and there is broad support in the San
Diego community to volunteer, visit, and contribute to its continued
success as a centerpiece to the local museums. It didn't appear that
the old Lex had any such support in Corpus.

v/r Gordon