Old September 10th 05, 03:39 PM
hjarrett

I haven't been following the group for a while (new job) but this is a well
documented problem. The platen floats on an air cushion that is entrained
when the disc spins. There isn't enough air density to support the platen
above 10,000 to 12,000 feet. If you got any operation at all at 20,000' you
were doing REALLY well. Is there any way you can put the data from the HD
on a solid state memory device and just run what you need from RAM?
I am trying to do the same thing using a Fujitsu 3400 and (unfortunately)
got one that uses an NT OS. NT doesn't support USB connections. Anybody
have a restoration disc or OS on an external drive for a Fujitsu Pen Tablet
so I can convert to Win 98 or Win 2000?
Hank

"max" wrote in message
ps.com...
Wow, the screen res on this one would probably display a full plate
without the panning I usually need to do on my 800x600 tablet.

I've been going back and forth between a tablet PC (Fujitsu LTC-500)
and a couple of notebooks, and have gone through multiple hard drives
on all systems when using them as EFBs. I've narrowed the problem down
to the fact that I use them all regularly between 17,000 and 18,000
feet. I've learned that most hard drives are prone to failure above
around 12,000 feet- lack of air pressure causing the heads to scratch
against, rather than float just above, the platters.

Has anyone else run into this issue computing at high, unpressurized
altitides?

Anyone know if this is still a problem with newer drives? I can't find
any onfo specific to that on this new one mentioned above.

-max