Old February 14th 04, 12:25 AM
Tony Cox

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

"Mike (Remove X's to reply)" wrote:

Oh, and I wear glasses, monofocal about -2.5 diopter plus astigmatism
correction of about 2.5 as well. Will this be a problem?

If your vision is correctable to 20/30 it's no problem.

For many years, I thought I could never be a pilot because
some idiot told me I needed to have two good eyes. I missed
out on 20 years of fun thanks to that fool.

I only have one 'normal' eye. The vision in the other is poor,
except in low-light levels, when it matches the other and I can
see in stereo.

The solution was to have a competency checkride with an FAA
examiner, and the issuance of a "Statement of Demonstrated
Ability" or SODA.

Funnily enough, my first SODA came back with the wrong eye
mentioned. No problem. The FAA just issued another. So I
have actually 2 SODA certificates, claiming no useful vision in
either eye. Two weeks later, a rather stern letter arrived telling
me that I must tell them immediately if the condition got worse.

Looks like you can fly even if you are totally blind. At least,
officially.