Old August 3rd 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

Default Missing flight plans

You said that you couldn't raise FSS so I assume that you tried. FSS
probably heard your radio calls even though you never heard their response.
They may have opened your flight plan as a default - or maybe your initial
radio calls included the request.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
"Greg Copeland" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:34:13 -0700, Paul kgyy wrote:

Twice in 2 days I've filed VFR flight plans only to have FSS unable to
find them when I called on radio after takeoff. One was filed through
Duats at 9PM for noon next day (and left at noon). The other was filed
with a briefer at Terre Haute at 10PM for 8AM next day (and left on
time).

In both cases I had to re-file over the radio.

I had a flight plan magically open on me. I had filed three flight plans,
one for each leg of my trip, and had opened and closed two of them. I
couldn't raise FSS on my return leg (flight plan #3) and so was not able
to open it. Shortly after landing I got a call on my cell phone asking if
I had made it to my destination and to inform me I had failed to close my
flight plan from the return trip home.

None of us understood how that happened but the guy on the other end
wasn't too worried about it.

Greg