Old August 25th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Approach Question

VOR-DME wrote:
Greetings,
First off, please tell me if this is the right forum for newer-minted IR
pilots to discuss approach questions?

If so, have a look at this one :
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0808/00382G22.PDF
GPS22, KSCH. I believe there is an error in the hold in lieu of PT, which
cannot be both "1-min" AND "4NM, but perhaps there is a good reason why
it is charted this way.

My real question though concerns the IAF waypoints. Why are OTOLE and
GALWA charted as fixes or reporting points, and not as GPS waypoints? If
entering using OTOLE as IAF, is one required to fly the hold in lieu of?

The 1 minute is a NACO charting error. The Jeppesen chart doesn't show
that.

The Jeppesen chart shows OTOLE as a flyby waypoint and GALWA as a
flyover waypoint. Thus, more NACO charting issues.

The course-reversal (hold-in-lieu "HIL") is mandatory unless you arrive
via an NoPT route. This particular hold violates critera because HILs
haven't been permitted at GPS FAFs for perhaps 7 years now. They can
cause box sequencing problems.

This approach should have been changed during an FAA biannual review but
they are way behind their policy requirements.