Old June 12th 04, 05:00 AM
Jim Thomas

Ed:

Thanks for clearing all that up.

I don't understand "BTW, you still trying to scrub those green
footprints off your back-side?"

Jim Thomas

Ed Rasimus wrote in message news
Were recce pilots who flew "alone and unarmed" into North Vietnam in
RF-101s, and became the first POWs, pukes? Or their later RF-4
brothers?

Well, other than the hyperbole regarding "became the first POWs", you
make a point. Ev Alvarez and the guys who were early internees were
mostly tactical fighter types. We don't want to get into Kramerism
here regarding combat versus non-combat folks who through no fault of
their own had less than a total "opportunity to excel".

Were "Trash Haulers" who landed their C-130s and C-123s into places
like Khe Son pukes?

I like to reserve the appellation for guys who wouldn't give a buddy a
hop in their dead-head flight back to Naha, because the residual fuel
in the tank of the motor-bike they bought constituted "hazardous
cargo", hence no pax. Or the transport crews who scheduled their
in-theater rotations over the end of the month to get two months
credit for "combat pay" and tax exclusion.

Were the Misty Facs pukes?

I correspond regularly with Don Sheppard. As you know, the Mistys
included guys like Bud Day. They are Fighter Pilots.

Were B-52 pilots who flew their Buffs over Hanoi during Linebacker
pukes?

Lots of BUFF-Rats show up at Reunions each year. Highly regarded,
especially by the ex-cons who had a front line seat for the show.

Were the Jolly Greens pukes? Or the Sandys that covered for them?

By now, you're getting tedious. You know of course that the
Recce-puke, trash-puke, etc. are all terms of endearment. Hang around
a club stag bar for whatever type and you'll hear the other types
called "xxxx-pukes."

BTW, you still trying to scrub those green footprints off your
back-side?

Or are the only "pukes" those "fighter pilots" who need to feel that
they are the chosen few.

Well, you do know of course, that Fighter Pilots are indeed "the
chosen few." How could it be otherwise?