Old October 23rd 17, 01:15 PM
Squeaky Squeaky is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley Falbaum[_2_] View Post
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 12:30:16 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:[color=blue][i]

I am seriously considering adding a transponder to my DG808C but I am not convinced it will add a lot to my protection against military collisions on MTRs. Please read the following NTSB letter. It is chilling. It involves a formation of 2 F-16s and a C172, resulting in a fatality. The C172 did everything right. The controllers at ATC, and the F-16 failed him.
https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-r...s/A02_15_19.pd
it is a long, sobering read. There are many MTR "close encounters" and ATC cannot cope with the traffic.
This report concerns me.... No mention of the numerous flight rule breaches by the military pilots (and that bothers me too as I have been seeing increased laxity and loss of professionalism in doing things right). The military jets flew through class B and C airspace, and were very likely NOT inside the MTR and definitely flying faster than ATC rules at the time as well.

Most VR routes only go up to 1500 AGL, while some will go up to 3000. Under controlled airspace, they do not go up that high most times. Unless you are in the VR route, you are supposed to fly at normal allowed airspeeds for the airspace, though Fighters are waived to fly at 300IAS below 10K. But VR routes also have identified entry points, and you are not supposed to enter wherever you want either. MTRs are supposed to be booked in advance.

In the 80's we used to set up for MTR low levels, we'd cancel IFR or flight following early (military regs/AFI says maintain IFR to the maximum extent possible) and jaunt around at 480 knots enroute to the entry point (sometimes holding outside the start point to make the entry on time on airspeed). Then the Wing changed this procedure, saying we didn't have authority to ramp around at whatever speed we wanted out side the VR routes, and we had to maintain IFR or flight following until just prior to entry, and we had to abide by speed limits until in the route structure.

This was normal until I got out in 99. Everything this F-16 group did is not standard, and against rules and procedures...

...but that's jmho. But it bothers me a lot.

Last edited by Squeaky : October 23rd 17 at 01:21 PM.