Old March 27th 12, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default CAI-302 and XCSoar

On Mar 27, 3:19*pm, Steve Koerner wrote:
I've never been able to figure out what the benefit would be from
knowing the outside air temperature. *I've bought different computers
over the years that come with OAT sensors but I never bother to
install them because I can't see how they can make my glider go any
faster. *I actually have built in sensors to tell me wether I'm cold
or not and there ain't much to do about that anyway. *When I'm cold it
has as much to do with lack of sunshine as it does with air
temperature. * So, what's the deal with OAT? *Why does anyone care?
Why are these sensors being pushed on me?

Wave (for a few reasons), early Spring thermal flying with water
ballast.

OAT is also used by the computer to sharpen up the TAS calculation (if
not present, it will use a standard atmospheric model) and this in
turn affects accuracy of calculated wind info.

T8