Old July 20th 17, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flap performance

I switched from a Libelle Club directly to an LS6a and I found it really benign and easy to fly (almost in unballasted condition) and not so flap setting sensitive (if you set neutral and leave it for the rest of the flight you have an LS8!).

Carlo

Il giorno mercoledì 19 luglio 2017 19:58:19 UTC+2, Just Me ha scritto:
I just want to be clear, I'm NOT scared of flaps. I have 60 hours in a flapped Libelle and probably 10 hours in a Janus A (all flying tail). The question is, given that I anticipate flying 20-40 hrs a year, am I overcomplicating my flying experience by selecting a Ventus (or any flapped ship) to the point that it will be either less enjoyable or that I'll actually get less performance than a comparable standard class ship (Discus) if I'm not on top of them. I'm not scared I'll kill myself. I am scared that I may not enjoy flying as much or not be as confident at being able to get into a "groove" on a thermal.

Part of the problem is there is no doubt in my mind that a Ventus is harder to fly than a Discus or, say an LS8, but some people have suggested its no big deal, others have said, you take your hand off the stick for two seconds and you're in a spiral dive... And all have come from people who actually have flown them. Its hard for me to know what to make of it. One Ventus owner who flew the same Janus A I flew said it was pretty comparable. He also said, always use the winglets.