Old July 20th 17, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Crook

Default Flap performance

[cut previous]...

I just want to be clear, I'm NOT scared of flaps. I have 60 hours in a

flapped Libelle and probably 10 hours in a Janus A (all flying tail). The
question is, given that I anticipate flying 20-40 hrs a year, am I
overcomp licating my flying experience by selecting a Ventus (or any
flapped ship) to the point that it will be either less enjoyable or that
I'll actually get less performance than a comparable standard class ship
(Discus) if I'm not on top of them. I'm not scared I'll kill myself. I am
scared that I may not enjoy flying as much or not be as confident at
being able to get into a "groove" on a thermal.

I'm into my fifth season in a Ventus bT, having previously flown an ASW19.
I fly about 20-40 hours a year and have about 300 gliding hours now.

Are you overcomplicating your flying experience going with a Ventus b vs
non flapped? Will flaps make it less fun or spoil your performance?

My two cents:

1. Yes initially your flying experience will be degraded. I guess all
pilots would fly a discus or LS8 better than a ventus b initially. But
10-15 hours of mixed thermalling and cruising should be enough to get a
hand/eye in on the ventus b.

2. The ventus b is a great glider. It loves going straight and fast loaded
up with water (-1 setting). With tips (16.6m) it climbs well (+2 setting)
alongside all other gliders (I race against a mixed fleet and it climbs as
well as the others). Neutral is used for long gentle glides (60kts with
water, 50kts without) to cross gaps, finish final glides. The flaps are
really not complex. But they add a lot in the pull-ups and speeding up. I
would not fly without them.

A recent flight in good conditions:

http://www.bgaladder.co.uk/dscore.as...tID=66435&RC=X