Old July 16th 03, 08:59 PM
Robert Moore

Larry Fransson wrote
I thought there was a big deal made several years ago about the
Navy publicly stating that they no longer carried tactical nukes
on surface ships. In any case, they were doing away with the
Weapons Technician rating (the former maintainers of tactical
nuclear weapons) and retraining them all as Gunner's Mates.

What distinguishes a "tactical" from a "strategic" nuclear weapon?
I spent three years in the Navy's nuclear weapons program and back
then, each weapon onboard the carrier was strategically targeted
as part of the National SIOP (Strategic Integrated Operation Plan),
the same as the Minute Men and Polaris missiles. The SIOP insured
that a B-52 didn't drop his weapon on top of a poor A-4 pilot making
his run-in at 500' and that both of them didn't get wipped out by
the Polaris that arrived at about the same time.
I would consider the Army's "Atomic Cannon" as a tactical weapon.

Bob Moore