Old May 30th 04, 10:51 PM
william cogswell

I seem to remember from my A.T. days in the navy that the 200 miles range of
the AWG-9 was against a bomber size target

Scott Ferrin wrote in message
In the latest AW&ST it mentions the F-22's radar as having a range of
"over 100 miles" and implies that it's greater than the F-15's. I
recall reading MANY times in the 80's of the Eagle's radar being more
like 150 miles and the Tomcat's nearly 200. I've also read that the
ASG-18 in the YF-12 (which was the one the AWG-9 was based on) was
good for over 300. So what gives? Are they purposly underselling
the APG-77? Is the "over 100 miles" figure against fighter-sized
targets while the high figures of the other radars were against
bomber-sized targets? Inquiring minds want to know.