Old September 7th 03, 04:17 AM

On 6-Sep-2003, "Tom S." wrote:

I'm considering a (Rockwell) Commander 114B. Their marketing hype makes it
seem that the Commanders have a much better safety record than their
competition. Anyone have any input on that?

How about maintenance history or operating costs?

I figure to allow $125 an hour for direct costs; is that reasonable for
this
breed?

I logged a couple of hours in a 114 owned by a colleague some years ago.
(This was the original 114, not the new 114B.) Very nice airplane to fly,
and very comfortable, but surprisingly noisy. Of course, the newer ones are
probably more refined and thus quieter. A few knots slower than others in
its class (e.g. Cessna 182RG, Beech 33), but the 114, unlike the old 112, is
certainly not underpowered.

My colleague had several problems obtaining parts, particularly for the
landing gear. Before I bought any Commander I would do extensive research
on the parts availability/cost situation.

The parts issue probably makes it tough to predict direct operating costs,
if you assume that includes replacing things that break or wear out.

I don't know anything about their safety record relative to others in its
class.

--
-Elliott Drucker