Old June 3rd 08, 08:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default I give up, after many, many years!

On Sun, 11 May 2008 16:16:42 -0700, Shirl
wrote:

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I don't take seriously any posters who use handles instead
of their real names.

That's a little extreme, IMO ... I don't think a person should have to
use their real name to be taken seriously. Some people aren't
comfortable using their real names, and in many instances, with just
cause. I think it's more important how people conduct themselves than
whether or not they use their real names ... but ... to each, his own.

Whether we choose to consciously or not, it'd be a very rare person to
give the same weight to a post by someone behind a handle instead of a
name. Now if that person has been posting using that handle long
enough to establish an reputation they have become a known quantity.
OTOH Whether we want to or not it's difficult to add much credulence
to the first few posts form some one using a handle and particularly
so if they tend to be either extreme, or combative.

"Long ago" and I mean at least 5 or 6 years, I heard this group
described as a bunch of bitter old men, or pilots with little
tolerance.

I make no claim to always being right and I've received a few crackpot
e-mails and threats over the years using my real name, but I just
throw them in the round file.

Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com