Old June 7th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Employment

"Blueskies" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
I personally know quite a few folks right out of WMU flight school
who are now regional drivers...no CFI in between and just over 250
hours...

Shudder!

I've flown with a few of those on jets. They tend to be very polished
but there's only a veneer of capability there. They can fly OK and
will certainly get the airplane on the ground in one piece if the
skipper has a coronary, but it's not the ideal scenario up in the
front. Simply put, they're fine day to day but when the **** hits the
fan they can be a liability.

Bertie

yes scary, but they polished with the glass and have procedures down
pretty well, only need the 'grit' that can only come from experience;
experience that is rarely gained for being a CFI...

Yeah, it's all a bit upside down, but I disagree that they don't get
experience from instructing. I do think that the gus who instruct shoul
dbe the experienced ones, though! The experienced guys can't be bothered
to do it, of course, so we're kinda stuck with the way things are, I
guess.
On a brighter note, I'm studying up for my CFI renewal next week and
I've been going through the latest FAA material. Years ago, it was very
thin material and a lot of it was just crap. The stuff they put out now
is excellent. Very thorough. Very practical stuff too. Who'da thunk a
gov'mint agency capable of such a thing?

Bertie