Old March 10th 14, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Runway Three or Runway Zero Three - which is better ?

On Saturday, May 3, 1997 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Andrew M. Sarangan wrote:
I was taught to always call out runway number in two digits. When I was
training in Ottawa, the tower and all pilots refer to Runway Zero-Four,
not Runway Four. Similarly Runway Three-Five, not Runway Thirty Five.

In Albuquerque, USA, where I fly now, I have noticed the opposite.

Today, the tower instructed me to fly a left base for Runway Three. Every
other time at this airport, I landed on Runway 30. For a brief moment I was
confused. When I asked for clarification how they want me to enter a left
pattern for Three-Zero, they said, "I said Runway Three, not runway Thirty".

How do other pilots like to refer to runway numbers ?

In the US, painted on the runway would be 19 - 1. Not 01