Old October 5th 15, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

I once flew for an ESPN video on flying (Secrets of Speed). One of the
launch methods used was an auto pulley tow wherein the pulley was
mounted to the receiver on the back of the car and the cable was staked
to the ground near mid field. The car drove in the takeoff direction
during the launch and, with the 2:1 advantage of the pulley, it was
every bit as exciting as a winch. The car drove at about 1/2 the speed
of the glider. We were using a 3,400' runway and I don't recall the
release height, though it was not as high as a winch with a full runway
length of cable.

On 10/5/2015 5:01 AM, GB wrote:
Good question. Seems to me reverse car tows(fixed pulley windward car drives toward the glider) would be the way to go. Has there been any sailplane work with car mounted pay out winches? Pay out winches are what the hangglider and paraglider community have mostly settled on using. Both of these solutions somewhat mitigate the space needed to auto tow.

--
Dan, 5J