Old November 25th 15, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default MKIII yaw string sale

On my recent visit to Minden I purchased both the MKIV yaw string and
the Quiet Vent. I'm extremely pleased with both.

Hadn't heard about any g-string. Is that for aerobatic pilots? What
prevents it from drooping? 8-)

On 11/24/2015 7:12 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Monday, June 8, 2009 at 9:20:58 AM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
"Dr. John Ackerson" wrote in message
Bumper,
Why can't we buy these through Wings and wheels or cumulus soaring
web sites? It would save you a ton of work.

I think the reason is that there's not enough mark up to cover their
expenses to deal with it - - they need to make a reasonable profit. The
pricing it basically at wholesale now, so they would have to sell for
substantially more than $10 USD to make it work for retail sales. I would
raise prices, but even as nice as the MKIV is, there's probably a price
point beyond which a yaw string won't sell (g).

Uh, are you selling a g-string?
There are a couple of glider businesses that carry them as a service to
their walk-in customers, such as Williams Soaring in CA and SoaringNV at
Minden. They sell them at their cost, so it's probably not reasonable to ask
them to incur the expense of shipping them, given that I ship them for free
(to USA, and for just $1internationally).

Although I have a number of jigs and fixtures to help speed and make more
accurate the fabrication process, it's still a handmade item with over 10
minutes needed to make each MKIV. To automate further would be hard to
justify given the size of the potential market. Of course I could farm out
the labor to lower my investment in time, but I haven't done that yet. I
have also not tried advertising in Soaring etc. instead relying on word of
mouth and ras etc.

This is a hobby for me and a way to share one of my inventions rather than a
business.

And finally, thanks for asking! Every time there's a post about the MKIV or
Quite Vent kit here on ras, it generates a whole bunch of orders - - gorilla
advertising (g).

bumper
zz
Minden, NV