Old April 12th 16, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Canopy Ejection and Canopy Lanyard

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 8:24:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
It will break. Believe me.

My first inclination is that it will break, but then I look at the development of the Roeger Hook. How many gliders were manufactured with front hinged canopies prior to the Roeger Hook? Then I think of how slow a glider may be traveling in a flat spin or whatever. There are not that many bail outs and it just takes one pilot to get hit in the head.

I think its a valid question, as well as valid to the sequence to a bail out. Does everyone use a static line on their chute in case of hit unconscious before clearing glider? And is the sequence to unbuckle then jettison canopy or vice versa? The stories I've read about those bailing out is jettison canopy first. I have heard to put hands over head and push on canopy, but from what I've read, this is to ensure suction release of canopy and not really for head protection. In training or any other articles, does anyone iterate to push up on canopy and protect head?