Old April 12th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Canopy Ejection and Canopy Lanyard

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 7:27:59 AM UTC-7, Casey wrote:
Why not belts first then canopy. If canopy hits pilot in the head and knocks unconscious then may have chance to fall out of glider and static line pull chute handle. Do glider pilots use static line on chute or is this an aerobatic thing?

If you release belts first, you may be thrown or pinned by rotation in such a way that the canopy levers can't be reached. You may also be blown through the canopy without release! I don't use a static line as I want the ability to decide if I am clear of wreckage before I pull.

Matt