Old November 3rd 14, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Default Electric Trainer: $5 An Hour Flight

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

at an energy cost of about $1 an hour.

I call ********.

Per wikipedia article on the Cessna 172, the Lycoming IO-360-L2A
engine produces 120kW of power.

Per,
http://www.eia.gov/electricity/month...m?t=epmt_5_6_a

the average cost of electricity across all sectors for August 2014 in
the United States was 10.92 cents/kilowatt.

Assuming no conversion losses and 100% efficiency, that's 120kW/hr
times 10.92 cents/kW = $13.104 worth of electricity per hour.

I may not be comparing my apples to the oranges properly, though.
I gladly accept critique. But their statement just smells fishy.

Brian
--
http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/index.php - Earth Sciences discussion
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?