Old July 16th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

Default Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video

On Jul 16, 4:38*pm, Mark Hansen wrote:
On 07/16/09 14:12, A Lieberman wrote:

On Jul 16, 3:59 pm, Mark Hansen wrote:

Why don't you think 91.185 applies once you break out of the clouds?
Did you cancel your IFR clearance at that point? If not, aren't you
still flying by IFR?

Actually it's a visual, I didn't mean VFR.

No. If you break out at DA and continue to land, you're not executing
a visual approach. See the Pilot/Controller glossary for details.

My point being landing is not an instrument procedure and has it's own
set of rules.

When flying IFR and landing through the use of an IAP, the landing is
certainly part of the procedure.

Bear with me Mark. If what you say is true, then why do you get a
clearance to land? Why are you NOTcleared to land on the approach
when you receive your clearance to execute the approach.

I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to get here. If you're
on an IFR flight and lose radio and get to your destination, fly
the approach, break out at DA, etc., if you are able to land and
don't because you don't see a light gun signal... well - I won't
finish that sentence :-)

In the real world, you land and deal with the paper work afterwards or
that's how I would deal with it:-) But it would appear to me the
landing clearance has absolutely nothing to do with the instrument
approach clearance. See above why.

However, I think this whole thread started with a Visual approach and
landing to a towered field with no radio. I think the question was
asked at that time: What has this to do with IFR flight? This is an
IFR group, right?

Well, the way I see it, to land you have to be cleared :-) The light
signal does that. The instrument approach is only part of the process