Thread: tow vehicles?
View Single Post
Old May 12th 20, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

Default tow vehicles?

In particular, you should understand that tow ratings are not valid for glider trailers. Pound for pound, glider trailers are much tougher on vehicle frames than a utility trailer or boat trailer. The length of the glider trailer causes a great deal of inertial loading -- both vertical and horizontal. Think in terms of 100% derating or more. After a few thousand miles towing with a Mazda CX5 that was nominally rated for trailer weight, I ended up with a broken frame to be repaired.

Steve,
I do believe your negative experience with the Mazda CX5, no one can question the facts, BUT my experience is totally opposite and I would reccomend this model to anyone (Mazda CX5 Sport model 2014 purchased in 2013), 2 liter, manual gear): seven years of towing a Cobra 1984 trailer, thousands miles across the US (Phoenix, AZ - Seminole, FL - Baltimore, MD - Julian, PA - Ionia, MI - Chicago (several times) - Elmira, NY - Ionia, MI - Chicago to Seminole 3x back and forth...) Never ever had any issue, no swaying, impressive low fuel consumption, roomy, never got me too tired. Wishing to buy the same model when the time comes.
Must depend on the combination of more factors: Divine Providence, glider type, trailer make, right tires, load distribution, hitch mounting, driving style etc.