Old October 7th 03, 10:25 AM
Martin Gregorie

On 6 Oct 2003 18:41:55 -0700, (Michael Pitoniak)
wrote:

(JJ Sinclair) wrote in message ...
I have seen many ship's assembly procedures that dictate the "non"
forked spar be inserted first, then the forked spar. This seems
counter intuitive (to me), and must be for a reason. Anyone know what
that reason is?

The owner didn't read the flight manual.
:)
JJ Sinclair

JJ

I am "the" owner of a LS4b, and was refering to my assembly manual
from LS. Over lunch today with a friend it was mentioned that the
Pilatus B4 assembly procedure is documented similarly, as is the LS3 i
believe.

Anyone with an informed response?

Whoever said that about the B4 was well off the beam. I don't own one,
but I *have* helped rig one a few times. It has no stub spars. Being
an all-metal glider it just has three pick-up points on each wing.
It's a real bear to rig because the wing pick-ups are a very close fit
between the mating flanges on the fuselage and in addition you must
keep the wing aligned at all times or you bend the lower root fairing.

As to forked spars, you always put the right wing on a Pegase first
and take it off last: that's the forked spar. In any case the forked
spar will guide the single one into place when its put in first.

However, there can be other considerations: we tend to put the right
wing on the club Discus WL first and take it off last. That's because,
with the glider on the tail ramp dolly the canopy must be closed to
move that wing into or out of the trailer, so right wing first
on/last off is simply more convenient.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK