Old December 12th 11, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Best Club class glider

Keep in mind what Kirk said about what you want. It has to be in a
good trailer, and a ship you enjoy flying. That is by far teh most
important thing, as most of your flying will not likely be done in
competition. Now, for the competing part. I would not recommend
getting the highest performing ship allowed. Why? A slightly lesser
performing ship can follow you and you will lose on handicap. Don't
get the bottom end and try to win based on handicap. There will be
days when you can't get home and the others do. Your handicap will
never make up that loss.

Find a ship you like in the 70-80% up through the allowed performance
range. Seal it, put in good instruments, and fly. Not just weekend
fun flying, flag pole sitting stuff. If you are serious on competing,
fly like you are competing. Every day. Has been taking me half a
bloody contest to get out of "relaxed" flying mode and get into more
serious racing mode. I am still relaxed and having fun, but being a
bit more selective. My daily scores tend to show this.

Steve Leonard