Old March 13th 04, 01:58 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Crispy3M) said:
Used it today while driving to Charlottetown PEI from Moncton NB.
Found that the Maps were off by more than 3 KM in some instances.

Is this typical of accuracy?

It's not your position that's off, it's their lousy base maps. When I
bought my 195 many years ago, I inquired and found that the built-in base
map was compiled from free sources. Since the US makes good base data
available for free (like the TIGER files from the Census Bureau), the US
is pretty good. But most countries don't make such good data available
without a fee, so Garmin relies heavily on the CIA's World Data Bank,
which is notoriously inaccurate. The basemap doesn't even show Highway
404 north of the 401, which was built a few years before the 195 was new,
and is a major landmark if you're going to be landing at Buttonville
Airport.

On my regular drive to Ottawa, I drive on both sides of the St. Lawrence
River. On the US side, my line is accurate with regard to the shoreline.
On the Canadian side, I'm hundreds of metres out into the water according
to the basemap.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/