Old October 12th 20, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Ramy wrote on 10/11/2020 6:57 PM:
Charging from the fuselage will make it impossible to charge overnight under most circumstances unless you tie down near a hangar or use your own generator. Perhaps using a generator is a reasonable practical method?

Ramy

I've thought about this, since I expect to have that problem next year with the GP15. Here's
what I've considered:

- At home, I may have access to the power from friend's hangar and a place to tie down down
beside it, instead of the ramp tiedowns

- Typically, only a partial charge would be required, taking an hour or two, so power at a
tiedown is usually not needed; eg, Parowan and Ely have RV and hangar outlets that can be used
to charge in the evening after landing, then the glider moved to the tiedown after dinner. Or,
in the morning before flying

- My motorhome has a generator that could be used to charge the glider at the tiedown when
there is no 120VAC available on the field. It can even charge the glider in the trailer while
traveling

- The 15M GP15 should be easy to derig each night, instead of covering and tying down, and
parked near power for the charger; alternatively, once it's derigged, the batteries can be slid
out of the wings and taken to the RV/FBO/motel/etc for charging.