Old August 22nd 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Class A airspace

5Z wrote:
flying_monkey wrote:
But what I'm really curious about is why SeeYou doesn't report this as
a violation when that function is activated.

I may be wrong, but I don't think SeeYou has a set of rules for pure
altitude based violations. If you define a SUA that covers your area
of interest and has a base of 18K, then it might trigger. I typically
look at the statistics as those show a max altitude.

-Tom

Hallooo:
WinPilot, etc warn close to Class A or Restricted, unless the
function is turned off or your airspace file is old or corrupt. (The
airspace file, not the pilot!) I don't think that any program or the
OLC would flag you for being within 500 feet of a structure on a ridge
flight though. You might find a few instances of that violation if
you're bored enough to look. (ie: it's rained for a week and you feel
like being a Fed)
Agreed, if you talk to ATC and get clearance into Class A or a
restricted area; an option we all may excercise; it would be best noted
in pilot comments of OLC flights. Not sure how to explain permission to
fly 300' over a ski lift, though!
It's nice to cruise the Whites, but sometimes I miss ridge flying.
Jim