Old August 22nd 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Class A airspace

One more thing to consider is that loggers have errors as much as 500ft
at these altitudes, and without seeing the logger calibration data it
is not possible to determine if the glider was in class A airspace. We
shouldn't penetrate class A airspace, (I had to open spoilers recently
to avoid it, as flying at 120 knots wouldn't do) but no doubt anyone
who flies without a transponder, although it is legal, is posing much
higher risk to commercial traffic then someone with a transponder who
accidentally brush class A....

Ramy

flying_monkey wrote:
SAM 303a wrote:
What is your point? That we need another set of watchdogs?
We shouldn't condone or copy the behaviour you've identified, but I don't
see how it benefits the sport to point it out to the authorities or make a
stink on RAS.
I bet with a little Googling you could find contact info for The Offender.
If you feel so strongly why don't you contact The Offender?

Geez! I'm not trying to point this out to the authorities, or make any
kind of stink. Oh, yeah, I know that the FAA folks probably read this,
but I bet they'd be a lot more impressed if we started policing this
widely ourselves as a group. We all need to police ourselves so that
we don't break the rules, and on the remote chance that we do, we don't
advertise it to the world. A little peer pressure would work wonders
here. Contacting the offender directly wouldn't do this. It might
correct this one instance, and get that one flight claim retracted, but
if the word is spread wider, maybe people will think before they
infringe or post.

Ed