Old December 24th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Default Why FBOs Must Charge a Fortune

I am not, because it isn't cheaper......

I know the pilot that flew our Warrior last.

HE would have told me of ANYTHING that gave him any concern about the
aircraft.

HE would NOT abuse it, overload it, ask it to do anything it was not
designed to do.

He would have cleaned it if he got it dirty.

He would have checked it thouroughly

He would have preheated the engine if it was too cold.

EVERYTHING on the aircraft works, or it is serviced immediately.

There are NO cracks in the spinner, no duct tape on the side windows,
the carpets are not torn, the stuffing is all INSIDE the seat fabric.
(all found on rentals assigned for flight duty)

There is less than 33 hrs on the oil & filter....

There is a one third chance that the last pilot was ME!

And the other 2/3rds chance is not a chance at all....

That's why I (1/3) own....

..and I am fortunate to have two excellent partners that are just as
anal as I on matters of the use and maintenance of the aircraft as I
am..

Cheers!

Dave

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 01:53:29 GMT, "Leonard Ellis"
wrote:

I wonder how many people here are involved in ownership of an airplane
because the out-of-pocket expense is less than renting?

I certainly don't think it is less expensive to own rather than rent a
machine like our very well-maintained IFR C172N. I know I'm paying more for
the privilege of flying the same airplane all of the time when I fly and I
freely admit to sometimes going out flying just because I can do so quite
easily. It is important to me to know ALL of the other pilots who are
flying her and how they care for her.

I suppose the question for me isn't "is it cheaper to own?" but "what is the
value of owning?". For me the value is sufficient to push me over the
threshold of the ownership decision. How about you?

Cheers,
Leonard
N2870E
"Peter R." wrote in message
Jose wrote:

How is that different from owning an airplane?

For starters, owning a small airplane is, for many, not a for-profit
business. Expenses to own therefore are irrelevant to the point Jay was
making.

--
Peter