Old March 29th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
James M. Knox

Default ELT replacement: Options?

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in

Peter R. wrote:
That unit was brought to my attention during my research, but I find
it hard to believe that a unit powered by D batteries is certified for
install in a Bonanza. It does seem that it is, though, ...

It certainly is. I think you'd probably be surprised if you opened
most ELT batteries. They are commonly just a bunch of off the shelf
alkaline batteries that are soldered together inside a box. You'd
never know it from the price tag :-))

The trick is the "legality" issue. It's the certification by the
company that solders all those other batteries together that makes it
legal. For decades there was no traceability on commercial batteries
bought at your local 7-11 store. Duracell started to "brand" their
batteries with expiration dates traceable back to the manufacture date.
THAT made them legal to use, and allowed ELT manufacturers to start
making units that used them.

Anyone with such a unit, can you verify that you can't legally just
plunk in *any* D-Cells, but rather that it has to be specific brands
(i.e. Duracell), or has to have the date listed on/with the battery?

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1300 Koenig Lane West fax 512-371-5716
Suite 200