Old July 17th 03, 06:25 AM
C J Campbell

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message

| The back to VOR will remain GPS -- and maybe NDB as well. Maybe keep
Loran
| as well and build hybrid GPS-Loran boxes with built-in redundancy.
|

| I think GPS is terrific and I particularly am looking forward to percision
| GPS approaches. I just think it makes no sense to decommission he
VOR/ILS
| system, and I think in the end that is exactly the conclusion the FAA
will
| be forced to make.

The FAA has said repeatedly that it plans to use radar to back up GPS. The
reason the FAA is so hot to decommission all the other radio navaids is that
they are far too expensive and the cost is spread across a very small user
base, whereas the cost of GPS is shared by all segments of society.