Old January 7th 04, 12:47 AM
Hamish Reid

In article FeGKb.751015$HS4.5883554@attbi_s01,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

In another post about the fabulous new Udvar-Hazy Center (part of the
National Air & Space Museum), frustration with not being able to fly into
this terrific new facility was evident. I personally find it appallingly
ironic that museums which purport to glorify flight are not accessible by
aircraft, despite being located on an airport.

Which brings to the fore a question: How many aviation museums really ARE
accessible by light plane? I know, for example, that my two favorite
museums (the Air Force Museum in Ohio, and the Strategic Air Command Museum
in Nebraska) are NOT accessible by aircraft.

So here's my contributions to this heroic list. Let's hear it for museum
directors who have sense enough to make their airplanes viewable by those of
us who might actually fly in!

Can you add any more to this list?

Castle Air Museum, http://www.elite.net/castle-air/. Right next door
-- easy walking distance -- to KMER (Castle Airport, Merced), the old
Castle Airforce Base. (yes, you get 11,000' of runway to play with and
an apron built for dozens of B-52s on the way to the tiedowns).

The mueum itself is great -- everything from an SR-71 and a B-52 to a
Cessna "Blue Canoe". I've spent several days there... (but the food
there is dreadful).

Hamish