Old January 31st 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default O-360 sticking valve update

wrote:
: This may be a shot in the dark, but many years ago we had a similar problem
: (slight sag in power during initial climb) with the O-320 in a Cherokee-140.
: After some troubleshooting we determined that most of the lost power could
: be restored by significantly leaning the mixture. That led us to determine
: that the cause was a partial obstruction of the intake air path between the
: air filter and the carburetor, causing the mixture to be excessively rich.
: I don't recall what the obstruction actually was (or how it got in there)
: but it seems that it would be most pronounced at high power and high nose-up
: attitude.

: If you haven't done this already, next time the "sag" occurs, see if leaning
: helps a bit. Sorry if you have previously reported that you've already
: tried this.

We're going to pull off the induction system and carb to just check for
oddities before putting it back together. We'll take a look.

As far as leaning goes, that's one of the first things I try when it acts up.
Field elevation here is 2100', so (especially in the summertime with DA over 4000')
some leaning is required for best power.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *