Old November 1st 03, 10:35 AM
Simon Smith

A rate one turn is a heading change of 180 degrees in one minute.

The angle of bank required for a rateone turn is 10% of the airspeed plus
seven if you are using konts or five if you are using mph. I.E. for an
airspeed of 100 kts the bank angle should be 17degrees for a rate one turn
(15 degrees for 100mph).

Airline flying is all about passenger comfort. At 300kts the AOB would have
to be 37degrees which be too steep so a max of 25 degrees is used and it is
accepted that this will be less than rate one at speeds above 180kts.

Consider also trying to do a rate one turn in Concorde at Mach 2 / 1340mph.
according to the formula the AOB should be 139degrees!

Simon

--
E-mails to the return address will not be read.
E-mails can be sent to jodel at tiscali dot etc for a UK company.
"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I am familiar with the inclinometer and turn co-ordinator of the
Cessna and how to use it to establish the correct bank angle for a
standard rate turn. Regardless of the IAS, I can perform a standard
rate turn by setting a bank angle that matches the standard rate turn
on the turn co-ordinator.

In the Airbus (A330, for example), how is a standard rate turn
performed? What instrument is used? I guess, I also have the same
question for the Boeing...

I am a newbie, so go easy. :-)

Thanks
Mark