Old August 22nd 03, 08:22 PM

Brad Z wrote:
: I was departing Harford Co MD airport yesterday (0W3) enroute to
: Chesterfield MD (FCI). 0W3 is a small non-towered field with no ground
: communications to ATC or FSS. In trying to pick up my clearance on the
: ground, I attempted to contact Leesburg FSS on the 1-800-WX-BRIEF. Due to
: call volume, I was routed to Altoona FSS, which did not have access to my
: flight plan and said that I needed to call Leesburg directly. So I called
: the direct Leesburg number, and after staying on hold for 15 minutes
: (meanwhile my cellphone battery charge is ticking away) I decided to hang
: up, and get my clearance airborne.

I flew a friend up to Ft. Meade, MD about a month ago, and had
similar problems getting through to FSS. Since the airport was in the
ADIZ and I had been warned not to even do a lap in the pattern without
getting a squawk, I didn't depart. I had to wait on hold for 20 minutes
to get to talk to someone and open an ADIZ VFR flight plan and get a
code... the whole time watching a dark rain cell come closer and closer.
Ended up getting clearance in time, and hauling-ass away from the rain.
That whole mess up there is completely unnecessary and pretty much just a
pain for everyone.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *