Old June 5th 14, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Sectionals for GlidePlan

Hi All,

I am very sorry that support for GlidePlan has been less than what is needed for quite some time. As Paul correctly guessed, some life changing issues have gotten in my way, and prevented me from providing the attention that it and you deserve.

In the short run, more current maps are now available at http://glide2.glideplan.com. I put this site up as the original was compromised by hackers. While not completely current, they are at least more modern than what is available on the original site.

You can still buy the software there, but I have been considering a drastic price reduction, and a release of the tools I have developed to process FAA sectionals and custom stitched maps. Sectional processing is fairly straightforward, and mostly automated, although instructions must be followed carefully.

Stitching sectionals together is significantly more valuable to pilots, and unfortunately significantly more difficult. It requires the use of Global Mapper for re-projection of different sectionals into a unified geo-referenced file, then post processing with tools I developed to be compatible with GlidePlan. Global mapper is not cheap in and of itself.

I developed GlidePlan to fill a need in the soaring community, and as a way to give back, not to make my fortune. If folks feel there is still some value to GlidePlan, I would like to hear your thoughts about making the program available for say $49 and allowing the community to support map updating and creation themselves. There would need to be a common repository of maps, sort of like WWTE, I would think And a few hardy souls willing to contribute to map making. I can provide the post processing tools (including source code for mapping tools only, in XoJo) and instructions.

I am also happy to host a content repository for now if someone wants to administer it.

Please let me know your thoughts in this open forum. I am open to suggestion.

Cheers,

Matt