Old July 27th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K Smith

Default xcsoar

Brad is that the IPAQ with the built in GPS that you tried it on. I am
going to have to rent gliders until I get a good solid cash flow going
again, and would like to be able to carry a navagation assistant with me
from plane to plane. Seems like this may be the way to go.

Karl

"Brad" wrote in message
On Jul 27, 7:25 am, Tim Leslie wrote:
On Jul 27, 8:06 am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:07:56 -0700, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
I have been using XCSoar for a couple years now. It does everything I
need it to do. However, a couple days ago I downloaded 5.2.2 for
pretty
much every platform. I unzipped the appropriate folder for the
PPC2003,
but couldn't find a 'setup' or 'install' file. Fortunately the .cab
file was there, so I got it loaded. Did I just somehow misplace the
'install' or 'setup'?

I've only used 5.2.2 and 5.2.3 in a PNA, but no, there's no installer. I
just unzip onto an SD card. Then I put the polar, TP, airspace and map
files into the XCSoarData directory, rename the executables folder and
XCSoar-PNA.exe to suit the version of Windows Mobile in my PNA, stuff
the
card into the PNA and boot it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I am using XCSOAR on an IPAQ 3970 with bluetooth and am utilizing a
GPS Bluetooth mouse. Seamless, easily set up, transportable ... and
inexpensive (IPAQ was 85.00 USD and GPS was 45.00 ... software of
course FREE !!!

It works flawslessly thus far. Love it!

And yes, you have to use the .cab for the new release as far as I
see. No executable was available, therefore I use the ealier
version. I really can't see buying the expensive software.

I am using 5.2.3Fb8, on a iPAQ 3850, XCSoar is loaded on a 2mb flash
card and all works great. For a GPS engine I have a Garmin map 60CS,
the 2 units get power and talk to each other via a Goddard PS-5.

I don't use the task part of the software, but for general XC flying
for me it works great.

Brad

PS...............I recently bought an iPAQ 310 and have gotten that to
work as well, only flew with it 1 time as a test and it seemed to work
fine.