Old May 27th 05, 03:48 AM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 26 May 2005 22:35:40 -0000, Skywise
wrote in
::

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

Snipola
Other reports have indicated that 121.5 MHz was in use by an
unidentified ELT signal at the time communications were attempted.

Snipola

OK. That explains that. My question then is wouldn't the
Blackhawk crew have noticed the ELT signal on their radios?

I can't speak for the Blackhawk crew, but one would expect so.

I mean, if I tun my receiver to 121.5 and there's an ELT on
it, won't I know so?

If the ELT signal were strong enough to interfere with communications
between two aircraft in formation flight, I would think it could be
heard by both of them.

Sorry if it's an obvious question...I'm still just an
armchair pilot.

No need to apologize.

The point is, the governments shoot-down policy for intruding aircraft
relies to a great extent on two way radio communications. At least it
seems to have in this case. To base a lethal policy on an unreliable
method of communications is half-baked at best, and displays the
government's lack of concern for the welfare of its citizens at worst.