Old May 31st 04, 12:43 AM
Robey Price

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Guy Alcala
confessed the following:

This is from memory so don't treat it as gospel, but IIRC the AESA
version for the F-16C was credited with a range (look-down IIRR) of
between 70-80nm, with the exact figure classified; the standard APG-68
was credited with a range about 1/3rd of that against the same target, or
23.3 - 26.7nm.

Just to add to that...also from memory...in the F-16A, 15+ years ago I
recall the gouge for radar contacts of F-15s/F-4s at a nominal 32nm,
an F-18 just inside 30nm, and an F-16 at 26nm.

The F-22 radar spec was quoted as something like
115nm, but was again doing somewhat better, IIRC somewhere in the
125-140nm range. If you're looking head-on at a Buff, 747 or Bear, you
can obviously do a lot better. ISTR there were lookdown detections made
by F-15Cs during DS on 'dirty' (tanks, armament underwing) fighters, of
at least 60nm and maybe 80nm (can't remember, and too lazy to pull out
the magazine with the account).

A buddy that flew Mudhens in DS told me a funny story. After the
fighting stopped they were in a 2-ship CAP NE of Baghdad near the Iran
border. AWACS vectored them W on a contact coming out of Syria (or
Jordan). The Mudhens went "buster" toward the contact at 180 degrees
aspect in a race to get the contact before a 4-ship of F-16As (that
were pimping AWACS to give them the trade). AWACS informed the Mudhens
they had about minute before the Vipers would get the intercept unless
the MHs could take a "judy." My bud had his WSO put the range scale to
their Max (180nm or 200nm sticks in my noggin) and the radar cursors
at the top. The WSO locked up the contact at Max range and they took a
"judy," but the Vipers were actually closer. He wound up doing a
high-low conversion with a 15k' altitude differential on an unbriefed
IL-76 sporting the Red Crescent inbound to Bullseye.

Speaking of trade...Guy got anything to trade me for Ritchie's two
Corona Harvest interviews (if you don't have them)...or other SEA
"stuff" I might have to interest you.

Robey (use yebor[at]comcast.net)