Old April 28th 04, 06:45 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Greg Esres" wrote in message

If you quoted them accurately, then your interpretation is incorrect.
They merely said it's more convenient to log it in a separate column,
because *some* people want you to break it out. The word "should"
doesn't apply here, because "Total Time" is not defined in the FARs
and therefore there are no rules about logging it.

I agree completely.. and additional rationale is that most FTDs are approved
for instrument currency or for an IPC as long as a CFII supervises the IPC
or currency. How can one log 6 approaches, holds, and tracking navigational
courses if that time is not considered part of one's total flight time?

I think it is more accurate for Frasca to say that it is helpful to subtotal
airplane time vs. FTD time because for various purposes (i.e. employment or
future ratings) the distinction can be important between the two. But it is
hard for my to conceive how it is improper to consider FTD time to be part
of total time.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com