Old November 1st 04, 06:00 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Jim Carriere wrote:

Sunday, November 1, 2004

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution

90 of the 146 years of it's existence the Marine Corps has been in

(rest snipped)

The wallpaper is nice, but did anyone else catch the "Marine math?"

A USMC tradition, established by a standing Marine Corps Order,
for its "Marine Corps Birthday" celebrations is the reading of
the message to the Corps by then-Major General Commandant John A.
Lejeune on the occasion of its 146th anniversary. For some
reason, the original post did not hit my server [probably
included a binary - the wallpaper - so news.individual.net
stripped it from their feed], but it is obvious to me that the
post quoted from that message.

An early happy 229th, and a big Semper Fi to all my fellow
Marines.

Link to the USMC History and Museums Division's page on the USMC
Birthday celebrations:

http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Hi...elebration.htm

Link to MARINE CORPS ORDERS No. 47 (Series 1921), paragraph 759;
by which Major General Commandant Lejeune established the
tradition and transmitted the his message.

http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Hi...ne_Message.htm
--
OJ III